Recipe: Strawberry ‘Nice’ Cream
My all-time favourite dessert is ice cream, and while there are now plenty of tasty plant-based alternatives on the market, this simple recipe really hits the spot without the refined sugar and saturated fat that you’ll find in most of the store-bought options.
Prep time: 5 minutes
What You’ll Need
A high-speed blender (eg. Vitamix)
3 frozen, ripe bananas
2 cups frozen strawberries
3-4 medjool dates
½ cup soymilk
2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- Put the bananas, strawberries, and dates in the blender with approximately half (1/4 cup) of the soymilk.
- Blend, beginning on slow-med speed, using a tamper if your blender came with one.
- If you’re having difficulty blending, add the rest of the soymilk.
- Slowly increase blender speed and blend until it reaches a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Poor the ‘nice’ cream into a bowl, sprinkle the hemp seeds over top, and enjoy!
Matthew Nagra is a Naturopathic Doctor and is a passionate advocate for evidence-based nutrition as medicine. I have a particular passion for plant-based/vegan nutrition, physical medicine, and chronic disease. With additional training in nutrition, I hold a Plant-Based Nutrition Certification from Cornell University and the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies where I’ve authored multiple articles on the subject.