In this podcast, I sat down with a Vancouver-based colleague and friend, Desiree Nielsen RD, to talk about all things soy! This is a topic I have discussed at length in the past and will continue to discuss until the day that I no longer hear claims like “soy causes man boobs” and “soy causes cancer” (I might be at this for a while).
In this particular episode we discuss the following:
- My own health journey, including how I went from eating McDonald’s to eating a whole food, plant-based diet.
- My path to becoming a naturopathic doctor.
- What the heck a phytoestrogen actually is and why it’s different than your body’s estrogen.
- The science-based health benefits of soy foods.
- Why animal studies make for confusing dietary advice.
- Soy’s connection to breast cancer and other cancers.
- How soy affects hormone balance in men.
- Soy protein quality of soy, and how it stacks up to whey protein in the research.
- Can you build muscle on soy foods?
- The problematic nature of internet nutrition advice and why not all health professionals are actually evidence-informed.
- How much soy you can safely eat in a day.
- Whether or not soy milk is safe for kids.
- Do you need to worry about GMOs?
- What about lectins?
- The truth about nutrition books that might surprise you, and my work on Simon Hill’s new book, The Proof is in the Plants.
Matthew Nagra is a Naturopathic Doctor and is a passionate advocate for evidence-based nutrition as medicine. I have a particular passion for plant-based/vegan nutrition, physical medicine, and chronic disease. With additional training in nutrition, I hold a Plant-Based Nutrition Certification from Cornell University and the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies where I’ve authored multiple articles on the subject.