I tend to spend more of my time on social media focusing on how nutrition can impact cardiovascular disease and diabetes risk, but in this episode with Roslyn Kent on her new podcast, The Plant Powered Gut Show, I dive into the validity (or lack thereof) of certain types of “gut health” tests, as well as the very divisive topic of gluten and gluten-free diets.
1. Are food sensitivity tests valid?
2. Are microbiome stool tests valid?
3. What is celiac disease?
4. Who should avoid gluten?
5. Is gluten inflammatory for the gut?
6. What about zonulin?
7. How can we reduce the bloating that comes from consuming beans and legumes?
8. Are “anti-nutrients” safe to consume?
Matthew Nagra is a Naturopathic Doctor and is a passionate advocate for evidence-based nutrition as medicine. I have a particular passion for plant-based/vegan nutrition, physical medicine, and chronic disease. With additional training in nutrition, I hold a Plant-Based Nutrition Certification from Cornell University and the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies where I’ve authored multiple articles on the subject.