In this episode of The Plant Proof Podcast, following up our previous discussion of soy foods, hormones, and cancer risk in Episode 197, Simon Hill and I focus on soy’s impact on cardiovascular disease risk, type 2 diabetes risk, and bone health. In addition, we bring some attention to the nutritional value and protein quality of soy products as well, and do discuss some non-soy hot topics.
In case you want to check out my previous appearances on the podcast, I first appeared on the show for Episode #113, where I discussed more broadly how I use evidence-based nutrition in my practice to help my patients thrive, and I returned to the podcast for Episode #133 where I specifically helped tackle the topic of protein.
In this episode we explore a variety of topics beyond just soy, many of which are listed below.
- Answering some questions that came up with last week’s episode, including soy’s relationship with PCOS and endometriosis.
- How soy foods affect disease biomarkers.
- The Portfolio (cholesterol-lowering) diet.
- Nut and oil consumption, and their impact on cardiovascular disease risk.
- Soy consumption and type 2 diabetes risk.
- Polyunsaturated fats and blood sugar management.
- How processing food may or may not affect its healthfulness.
- Soy foods and bone health.
- Soy vs. animal-based protein.
- Choosing a plant-based milk.
- And much more.
You can listen here. Enjoy!
Matthew Nagra is a Naturopathic Doctor and is a passionate advocate for evidence-based nutrition as medicine. I have a particular passion for plant-based/vegan nutrition, physical medicine, and chronic disease. With additional training in nutrition, I hold a Plant-Based Nutrition Certification from Cornell University and the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies where I’ve authored multiple articles on the subject.