In this episode of The Proof with Simon Hill, both Alan Flanagan PhD and I joined Simon to dive deep into the topic of lectins to ultimately answer the question: are lectins toxic? This has become quite the topic of discussion in the online nutrition space over the past decade and is often cited by carnivore diet proponents as a reason to avoid consuming many plant foods, such as legumes, so we hope that his episode helps clear the air.
- What are lectins?
- A critical examination of Dr. Gundry’s (author of ‘The Plant Paradox’) claims.
- Do lectins trigger “leaky gut”?
- Do lectins cause inflammation?
- Can lectins trigger autoimmune conditions?
- Does consuming lectins lead to fat gain?
- An examination of the research Dr. Gundry cites for his ‘Lectin Shield’ supplement.
- What is the net effect of consuming lectin-rich foods (eg. legumes) on our health?
Dr. Matthew Nagra is a Naturopathic Doctor in Vancouver who is passionate about evidence-based nutrition and medicine. In addition to his online and public speaking work, he employs a wide range lifestyle interventions, including plant-based nutrition, as well as physical therapies in his practice to help his patients prevent or recover from chronic illnesses and physical injuries. Holding a Plant-Based Nutrition Certification from Cornell University and the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies, he has penned several articles on the topic, underlining his specialized training in nutrition.